I’d like to introduce you to a little project of mine that’s been bouncing around for a little while in my head, and hanging around on the dress form in my room, taunting me with its incompleteness!
It all started back in December with this image of Sif, from Thor: Dark World:
As soon as I saw her armor, I knew I had to do something with it. It’s so tough and pretty, I knew I wanted a jacket with similar colors and lines.
I had just been loaned the dress form by a friend over the holidays, so I thought I would try my hand at using it to put a pattern together (rather than my usual, sketch, measure, math, sketch, cut, cry, re-measure, cut, sew, cry, undo, cry, give up, return three months later and kinda sorta finish it)… It took a while for me to figure it out (and avoid being too costume-y/cosplay-ey) but I finally got it down to something I liked with minimal wasted newspaper.
I had trouble finding images of the back, this being one of the few I did find:
So I kind of drafted what I thought would suit the front, keeping the separate pieces for the top part / shoulder, and the arrow detail which would allow for some accent color.
I settled on a grey suiting material and red suede for the accents.
Sewing it together was fun and slightly nerve-wracking. I’m happy to say I used all original pieces except the very front bust. The original center-front pattern I drafted was too close-fitting on the bust for a jacket (more like a dress), so I switched three pieces out for one.
Here is a first look before the sleeves are added:
I’m pretty happy with it! 🙂 I think it’s going to be a pretty good Sif-inspired jacket. Not too bad for my first real try with the dress form, I think.
It’s still a work in progress, though… I’ll keep you posted as things progress!